If, until a few years ago, the web designer was the job of the future, today the situation has definitely changed. Here because
Not all stories, however long and apparently successful, are destined for the happy ending. Take, for example, the history of web design : everything starts in 1991 with the release of the HTML language and the appearance of the first websites and, despite some inevitable initial hitch, has developed for decades without anything (apparently) stopping its evolution. Now, however, the situation seems to have completely changed and the future of the web design rather uncertain.
The survival of the web itself and of the habits of Internet users puts at risk its survival. The hypertext links and links that link them are no longer those designed more than twenty years ago Tim Berners-Lee (nor do they have the same functions). Today we are dealing with a more “distributed” and “dematerialized” web (just think of the Web of Things , just to give an example), difficult to identify with the websites and static pages of a few years ago.
For some time i web designer they tried to keep up with the changes, even sudden, which the sector was facing. But now this “business” becomes increasingly complex, so much so that for some experts the future becomes unpredictable. That the web design has arrived at the terminus and is destined to leave space for other disciplines more focused on the user? The shadow of the user experience , just to make a name, it now seems to loom.
Symptoms of an end
Several clues that make you think that i web designer they will soon be forced to change jobs (or at least try to adapt to a rapidly changing world). Five, however, the main symptoms of the times they run.
- CMS and template . Thanks to Content Management System ( WordPress , Drupal e Joomla to name just three) today anyone (or almost) is able to create an interactive and functional website while having a minimum knowledge of “informatic things”. Merit also of the hundreds of template and graphic themes, often free of charge, which allow you to equip your portal with a modern and engaging user interface without being forced to look for a web designer ready to design it and make it happen. This, of course, negatively affects the growth prospects – commercial and professional – in the sector
- Zero development . The time of the great changes in the field of web design it seems now to be a distant memory. The responsive design (website that adapts its forms depending on whether it is viewed through a mobile device or a computer) is now years old and the same can be said of the modules with parallax effect. The sector, in short, has reached a certain maturity, able at the same time to reassure users and stop any attempt at innovation
- Automation and artificial intelligence . What’s more, to ruin the plans of the web designer we also bring the bots and the artificial intelligence . Portals like The grid In fact, they are able to independently analyze the contents and suggest templates, images, colors and fonts that best fit the style of the various websites
- Facebook as a new window . At the end of the 1990s, executives with their minds pointing towards the future would have hired one web master it’s a web designer , purchased space on a hosting portal and created the website of their company so as to attract new audiences. Today, however, if any company wanted to be known on the Net would open, seems a shadow of a doubt, a Facebook Fan Page. Completely free and easy to manage, they give immediate access to a potential audience of over 1 billion users: a virtually impossible competition to beat for any web maser or SEO
- The mobile “kills” the “stars” of the web . Paraphrasing and reinterpreting an old song from the ’70s, it can be said that browsing via smartphone has literally “killed” the web design . The reason is simple: when you have the mobile phone in your hands is much preferred navigation via the app rather than through the browser. And this is the main reason that drives big brands and websites to create apps with which to convey messages and content
From web design to the UL
In short, the future of web design seems to have been marked. This does not mean, however, that i designer are destined to lose their job: they will simply have to have a more holistic and less restrictive approach. Instead of designing individual pages or individual websites, i web designer they will have to “recycle” to design ecosystems in which applications, APIs and, in fact, Internet portals can coexist.